- Noun: outfit 'awt`fit
- Any cohesive unit such as a military company
- A set of clothing (with accessories)
- getup, rig, turnout
- Gear consisting of a set of articles or tools for a specified purpose
Derived forms: outfits, outfitted, outfitting
n. a set of things; the items needed for some task.
• I got a fine chemistry outfit for my birthday.
• My tool kit has everything I need. It's the whole outfit.
informal) [C with sing./pl.verb]
a group of people working together as an organization, a business, a team, etc:
a market research outfit
a 12-person outfit producing music software
a set of clothes that you wear together, especially for a particular occasion or purpose:
The sales team wear dark blue outfits.
■ verb [+ obj] (-tt-) (especially AmE) (often be outfitted)
to provide sb/sth with equipment or clothes for a special purpose:
workstations outfitted with the latest technology
All vehicles have been outfitted with satellite navigation systems.
outfitting noun [U]
- More: Next
- the structure of the guard outfits was complete.
- your outfit is most becoming.
- i found this old outfit which i hadn't had on for years.
- listen, i know this outfit we're up against.
- the outfit of the exploring party took only half a month.