macassar oil in a sentence
- Macassar oil was an unguent for the hair commonly used by men in the early 19th century.
- Some species of Maple and ornamentals . " Schleichera trijuga " is the source of Indian macassar oil.
- The words " Macassar Oil " were registered as a trademark by A . Rowland & Sons, in 1888.
- Macassar oil was so named because it was reputed to have been manufactured from ingredients purchased in the port of Makassar in Indonesia.
- It was then not uncommon for barbers to make their own hair preparations, and around 1783 Rowland began offering Rowland's Macassar Oil.
- The name also refers to the cloth flap'collar'on a sailor's shirt or top, used to keep macassar oil off the uniform.
- During the Victorian era, the use of the unguent Macassar Oil on the hair became so popular that the Antimacassar was invented to prevent damage to furniture.
- The best of them all was macassar oil-our article says it was used primarily in Victorian and Edwardian times, but my granddad was certainly still using it in the late 1960s.
- The poet Don Juan ", and Lewis Carroll also mentions " Rowland's Macassar Oil " in the poem " Haddocks'Eyes " from " Through the Looking-Glass ".
- Macassar oil is often made with coconut oil or palm oil or that of " Schleichera oleosa ", combined with ylang-ylang oil ( obtained by processing the flowers of the ylang-ylang tree, " Cananga odorata " ) and other fragrant oils.
- :: : : : Well, antimacassar happens to be one of my favourite words in the entire lexicon, so I'll thank you not to denigrate it by associating it with something you consider stylistically infelicitous . : ) ( I just wish I could get my hands on some macassar oil, the smell of which is incomparable . . . ah, the good old days ).
"macasphalt" in a sentence, "macassan" in a sentence, "macassan contact with australia" in a sentence, "macassar" in a sentence, "macassar ebony" in a sentence, "macassar strait" in a sentence, "macassar straits" in a sentence, "macassar village" in a sentence, "macassar village land occupation" in a sentence,