balmville tree in a sentence
- Balmville was home to the Balmville Tree, New York's smallest state forest.
- Still, 15 months ago the Balmville Tree, 296 years old, was slated to feel the lethal cut of a chain saw.
- According to Luley, the plant pathologist, the Balmville Tree has no more than a 25 percent chance of living more than 20 years.
- The only people to have successfully propagated a cutting from the Balmville Tree are Richard and Emoke Severo, who live next door to the tree.
- As the headline of the next edition of " The Sentinel " proclaimed, " Balmville Tree's Longevity Could be Passed on to Descendents ".
- Residents did not protest, but nevertheless lamented the tree's end . " There is no Balmville without the Balmville Tree, " one told a local newspaper.
- Of the four attempts the Severos made, after taking cuttings in 1999, the tricentennial of the Balmville Tree, only one survived which they credit to the cutting sharing the same water and soil as the original tree.
- Mrs . Sager, who is 60 and also has affectionate childhood memories of the tree, recalls that her decision was so unpopular that one of her nine grandchildren asked incredulously : " You want to take down the Balmville Tree ?"
- By 1990 the Balmville Tree was designated historic by the State Department of Environmental Conservation, along with a sycamore that shaded Washington's bedroom at White Plains, a white oak in Peekskill used to hang a Revolutionary War spy, and 62 other trees.