tone in Chinese
[ təun ] Pronunciation:
How to pronounce "tone"Synonyms of "tone""tone" in a sentence"tone" meaning
past tense: toned past participle: toned plural: tones present participle: toning
- On the whole their tone was precise .
- The tone was neither aggressive nor conciliatory .
- Cordelia imitated his guttural tones .
- What do you think of our family tone ?
- The question was asked in a tone of surprise .
- The style was hurried, the tone intemperate .
- That tone means that the number is engaged .
- Its tone has changed from decade to decade .
- I exclaimed in rather a triumphant tone .
- He explained in a low smooth tone .
- a quality of a given color that differs slightly from another color; "after several trials he mixed the shade of pink that she wanted"
Synonyms: shade, tint, tincture,
- (linguistics) a pitch or change in pitch of the voice that serves to distinguish words in tonal languages; "the Beijing dialect uses four tones"
- (music) the distinctive property of a complex sound (a voice or noise or musical sound); "the timbre of her soprano was rich and lovely"; "the muffled tones of the broken bell summoned them to meet"
Synonyms: timbre, timber, quality,
- the quality of something (an act or a piece of writing) that reveals the attitudes and presuppositions of the author; "the general tone of articles appearing in the newspapers is that the government should withdraw"; "from the tone of her behavior I gathered that I had outstayed my welcome"
- a steady sound without overtones; "they tested his hearing with pure tones of different frequencies"
Synonyms: pure tone,
- a musical interval of two semitones
Synonyms: whole tone, step, whole step,
- a notation representing the pitch and duration of a musical sound; "the singer held the note too long"
Synonyms: note, musical note,
- the quality of a person''s voice; "he began in a conversational tone"; "he spoke in a nervous tone of voice"
Synonyms: tone of voice,
- the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people; "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
Synonyms: spirit, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell,
- the elastic tension of living muscles, arteries, etc. that facilitate response to stimuli; "the doctor tested my tonicity"
Synonyms: tonicity, tonus, Verb
- give a healthy elasticity to; "Let''s tone our muscles"
Synonyms: tone up, strengthen,
- change to a color image; "tone a photographic image"
- change the color or tone of; "tone a negative"
- vary the pitch of one''s speech
Synonyms: inflect, modulate,
- utter monotonously and repetitively and rhythmically; "The students chanted the same slogan over and over again"
Synonyms: chant, intone,
"toned" in Chinese, "shadow tone" in Chinese, "tone poem" in Chinese, "quarter tone" in Chinese, "tone row" in Chinese, "tone arm" in Chinese, "tone control" in Chinese, "tone wheel" in Chinese, "tone language" in Chinese, "tondu" in Chinese, "tondu mt" in Chinese, "tondury-duhamel anomalad" in Chinese, "tondury-duhamel形态缺陷" in Chinese, "tondut" in Chinese, "tone alarm" in Chinese, "tone amplifier" in Chinese, "tone analysis" in Chinese, "tone and attitude type" in Chinese,