root in Chinese
[ ru:t ] Pronunciation:How to pronounce "root"Synonyms of "root"Use "root" in a sentence
- Selection will root out such organism .
- Much of america was rooting for us .
- The pigs were grubbing around for roots .
- The love of money is the root of all evil .
- Some quadratic equations have no real roots .
- We must attack the trouble at its roots .
- He had the root of the matter in himself .
- When you 're weeding , you must dig up the roots .
- The root of the problem is lack of trust .
- We must not forget about the grass roots .
- the part of a tooth that is embedded in the jaw and serves as support
Synonyms: tooth root,
- (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed; "thematic vowels are part of the stem"
Synonyms: root word, base, stem, theme, radical,
- a simple form inferred as the common basis from which related words in several languages can be derived by linguistic processes
- the set of values that give a true statement when substituted into an equation
- the place where something begins, where it springs into being; "the Italian beginning of the Renaissance"; "Jupiter was the origin of the radiation"; "Pittsburgh is the source of the Ohio River"; "communism''s Russian root"
Synonyms: beginning, origin, rootage, source,
- someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent)
Synonyms: ancestor, ascendant, ascendent, antecedent,
- (botany) the usually underground organ that lacks buds or leaves or nodes; absorbs water and mineral salts; usually it anchors the plant to the ground
- a number that, when multiplied by itself some number of times, equals a given number
- take root and begin to grow; "this plant roots quickly"
- cause to take roots
- become settled or established and stable in one''s residence or life style; "He finally settled down"
Synonyms: settle, take root, steady down, settle down,
- dig with the snout; "the pig was rooting for truffles"
Synonyms: rout, rootle,
- plant by the roots
- come into existence, originate; "The problem roots in her depression"