purpose in Chinese
[ 'pə:pəs ] Pronunciation:
How to pronounce "purpose"Use "purpose" in a sentence
past tense: purposed past participle: purposed plural: purposes present participle: purposing
- The captain stormed, but to no purpose .
- A thermostatic bath is used for this purpose .
- This is our purpose and our pledge .
- I 'm sorry , i did n't do it on purpose .
- She seems to do these things on purpose .
- Cadmium is a good metal for this purpose .
- He hinted about the purpose of his visit .
- This book has a very specific purpose .
- They did that on purpose and deliberately .
- Balk the purpose of those who threaten us .
- the quality of being determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose; "his determination showed in his every movement"; "he is a man of purpose"
- what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
Synonyms: function, role, use,
- an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions; "his intent was to provide a new translation"; "good intentions are not enough"; "it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"; "he made no secret of his designs"
Synonyms: intent, intention, aim, design, Verb
- reach a decision; "he resolved never to drink again"
- propose or intend; "I aim to arrive at noon"
Synonyms: aim, purport, propose,