plant in Chinese
[ plɑ:nt ] Pronunciation:
How to pronounce "plant"Use "plant" in a sentence
past tense: planted past participle: planted plural: plants present participle: planting
- The trees were planted at 20 feet intervals .
- He stood with his feet planted wide apart .
- Willows are planted on both sides of the streets .
- Many plants have begun to automate .
- Ethylene is a growth hormone in plants .
- Tropical plants thrive in a greenhouse .
- Red strains of delicious are being planted .
- They discovered that he was a police plant .
- This book is about chemicals and plants .
- All plants [flora] need water and light .
- (botany) a living organism lacking the power of locomotion
Synonyms: flora, plant life,
- buildings for carrying on industrial labor; "they built a large plant to manufacture automobiles"
Synonyms: works, industrial plant,
- something planted secretly for discovery by another; "the police used a plant to trick the thieves"; "he claimed that the evidence against him was a plant"
- an actor situated in the audience whose acting is rehearsed but seems spontaneous to the audience
- put firmly in the mind; "Plant a thought in the students'' minds"
- place something or someone in a certain position in order to secretly observe or deceive; "Plant a spy in Moscow"; "plant bugs in the dissident''s apartment"
- fix or set securely or deeply; "He planted a knee in the back of his opponent"; "The dentist implanted a tooth in the gum"
Synonyms: implant, engraft, embed, imbed,
- put or set (seeds, seedlings, or plants) into the ground; "Let''s plant flowers in the garden"
- set up or lay the groundwork for; "establish a new department"
Synonyms: establish, found, constitute, institute,
- place into a river; "plant fish"