- Noun: zone zown
- A locally circumscribed place characterized by some distinctive features
- Any of the regions of the surface of the Earth loosely divided according to latitude or longitude
- geographical zone
- An area or region distinguished from adjacent parts by a distinctive feature or characteristic
- (anatomy) any encircling or beltlike structure
- Regulate housing in; of certain areas of towns
- Separate or apportion into sections
Derived forms: zoning, zones, zoned
Type of: anatomical structure, bodily structure, body structure, complex body part, divide, geographic area, geographic region, geographical area, geographical region, govern, order, part, place, region, regularise [Brit], regularize, regulate, separate, spot, structure, topographic point
In an air-conditioning or heating system, a space (or group of spaces), served by the system, whose temperature (or humidity) is regulated by a single control.2.
A vertical or horizontal subdivision of a water supply system, sprinkler system, or standpipe system.3.
See pressure zone.
AmE / noun, verb
■ noun [C]
ENTERPRISE ZONE, FOREIGN TRADE ZONE, FREE ZONE, TIME ZONE
an area or a region with a particular feature or use:
an industrial zone
the danger/safety zone
one of the areas that a larger area is divided into for the purpose of organization:
postal charges to countries in zone 2
■ verb [+ obj] (usually be zoned)
to keep an area of land to be used for a particular purpose:
The town centre was zoned for office development.
to divide an area of land into smaller areas
zoning noun [U]
See free-trade zone, and target zone (exchange rates)
1. On a magnetic disk, a group of tracks whose associated transfer rate is not the same as that for the rest of the disk.
2. In computer operations, the area of a storage medium containing digits.
3. In a computer system, a main memory area set aside for a particular purpose.
4. In a security system, a specified area or region under surveillance.
- More: Next
- below the water table is the zone of saturation.
- it depends on the identification of zone fossils.
- they are pulling their troops out of the battle zone.
- the saturated zone is bounded above by a water table.
- the central zone is sputtered with a reflecting coating.