wave front meaning
Of a sound wave, a continuous, imaginary surface which is the locus of points having the same phase at a given instant.
For a radio wave, the plane that is parallel to the perpendicular electric and magnetic lines of flux. The wave propagates at right angles to this plane.
n : a surface composed at any instant of all the points just reached by a vibrational disturbance in its propagation through a medium
- More: Next
- such wave fronts are separated from one another by one-half wavelength.
- at each interface the spreading wave front is made discontinuous.
- successive wave fronts in this case form a series of concentric spheres.
- it starts with zero and grows to a maximum slightly behind the wave front.
- successive positions of the wave front are then given by the envelopes of the secondary waves.