- During World War II, Thiele helped design the Wind-class icebreaker and the USCGC Mackinaw ( WAGB-83 ).
- Commissioned in 1999, the U . S . Coast Guard research icebreaker USCGC Healy ( WAGB-20 ) is named in his honor.
- He then served as the first Executive Officer of the USCGC Westwind ( WAGB-281 ), one of the ships he helped to design.
- After 47 months and 18 days of continuous operation, ARLIS II was evacuated in May 1965 by the icebreaker USCGC Edisto ( WAGB-284 ).
- Commissioned in 1977, the ship was built by Lockheed Shipbuilding and Construction Company of Seattle along with her sister ship, " Polar Star " ( WAGB-10 ).