Derived forms: traders
See also: trade
ROGUE TRADER, SOLE TRADER
1 (Commerce )
a person or company that buys things and sells them at a profit:
small market traders
Plans for a new hypermarket have angered local traders.
2 (Finance ; Stock Exchange ) (AmE) = DEALER (2)
An individual who engages in the transfer of financial assets in any financial market, either for themselves, or on behalf of a someone else. The main difference between a trader and an investor is the duration for which the person holds the asset. Investors tend to have a longer term time horizon, whereas traders tend to hold assets for shorter periods of time in order to capitalize on short-term trends.
- traders and foreigners drift to the court.
- the trader was obstinate in the negotiation.
- the trader squirmed in his old ducks.
- and the trader bowed himself out of the apartment.
- traders and shippers from both sides were involved.