total mastectomy meaning
Removal of only the breast tissue and nipple and a small portion of the overlying skin.n : SIMPLE MASTECTOMY
- The Dutch patients all had total mastectomies, and none were diagnosed with cancer.
- That removes just the breast tissue, but not the skin and nipple, the way a total mastectomy does.
- The women were randomly chosen to undergo either a total mastectomy or a lumpectomy or a lumpectomy followed by radiation treatment.
- But an infection caused tissue destruction and Nielsen required a total mastectomy, as well as reconstructive surgery on her abdomen.
- Even with a total mastectomy that removes the breast, some tissue is left behind, so there is no assurance that the cancer won't recur.