total liquid ventilation meaning
Artificial respiration (RESPIRATION,ARTIFICIAL) using an oxygenated fluid.
- All uses of liquid breathing for diving must involve total liquid ventilation ( see above ).
- In order to explore drug delivery techniques that would be useful for both partial and total liquid ventilation, more recent studies have focused on PFC drug delivery using a nanocrystal suspension.
- This mode of liquid ventilation currently seems technologically more feasible than total liquid ventilation, because PLV could utilise technology currently in place in many neonatal intensive-care units ( NICU ) worldwide.
- A "'liquid ventilator "'is similar to a medical ventilator except that it should be able to ensure reliable total liquid ventilation with a breatheable liquid ( a perfluorocarbon ).
- Total liquid ventilation, however, has difficulty moving enough liquid to carry away CO 2, because no matter how great the total pressure is, the amount of partial CO 2 gas pressure available to dissolve CO 2 into the breathing liquid can never be much more than the pressure at which CO 2 exists in the blood ( about 40 mm of mercury ( Torr ) ).