top dressing meaning
Noun: top dressing tóp 'dresing
- A layer of fertilizer or manure not ploughed in
- Scatter manure or fertilizer over (land)
Derived forms: top dressings
Encyclopedia: Top dressing
A layer, usually thin, of manure, humus, loam, etc., to improve soil conditions in planted areas.
- the hens in the next garden : their droppings are very good top dressing
- Organic matter should be incorporated regularly as a top dressing.
- Added regularly ( as in regular top dressing ) organics make the ground progressively better.
- Crop dusting was not adopted in New Zealand until after top dressing was well established.
- Haircuts are followed by watering and a top dressing of compost to hold moisture and quicken growth.