top dog meaning
Noun: top dog tóp dóg
Derived forms: top dogs
Type of: leader
Encyclopedia: Top dog
n. the person in charge or in power; a company officer.
• The reporter tried to get hold of one of the top dogs, but couldn't get past the secretary.
• A top dog from the executive suite read a prepared statement.
Noun. The leader, boss.
noun [C, usually sing.] (
a person or group that is better than all the others, especially in a situation that involves competition:
He was top dog in the company before the merger.
- mr . johnson thinks he's the top dog around here
- people favor underdogs but follow only top dogs
- that man is young, but he is a top dog in his company
- top dog, a-1 guy . great to see you
- now that johnny's gone, you're the top dog around here