stay of proceedings meaning
An order by the court suspending proceedings, usually because of some misconduct by the claimant (e.g. in a claim for damages for personal injury, unreasonably refusing to attend for medical examination by a doctor nominated by the defendant).
- On application to the Supreme Court a stay of proceedings was granted.
- As a result, a stay of proceedings was directed in the case ."
- Stays of proceedings can also take place in the absence of a " Charter " violation.
- He granted a stay of proceedings under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, blocking the extradition attempt.
- When the trial began, the accused moved for a stay of proceedings on the grounds of unreasonable delay.