- The general state of things; the combination of circumstances at a given time
"the present international situation is dangerous"; "eternal truths will be neither true nor eternal unless they have fresh meaning for every new social situation"
- state of affairs
- A condition or position in which you find yourself
"the unpleasant situation of having to choose between two evils"; "found herself in a very fortunate situation"
- A complex or critical or unusual difficulty
"the dangerous situation developed suddenly"; "that's quite a situation"; "no human situation is simple"
- Physical position in relation to the surroundings
- A job in an organization
- position, post, berth, office, spot, billet, place
Derived forms: situations
See also: situate
Type of: business, condition, difficulty, job, line, line of work, occupation, place, position, state, status
Encyclopedia: Situation Situation, Task, Action, Result
all the circumstances and things that are happening at a particular time and in a particular place:
the present economic/financial situation
We need to analyse the market situation.
Financially, the company is in a difficult situation.
I'm in a no-win situation
(= whatever I do will be bad for me).
What we have here is a crisis situation.
You could get into a situation where you have to decide immediately.
the kind of area or surroundings that a building or town has:
The hotel is in a beautiful situation.
3 (old-fashioned or only used in written English)
a job ⇨ SITUATIONS VACANT
1 : the way in which something is placed in relation to its surroundings
2 : the total set of physical, social, and psychocultural factors that act upon an individual in orienting and conditioning his or her behavior
3 : relative position or combination of circumstances at a particular moment
- either-or situation: n. [c]a situation ...
- no-win situation: Noun: no-win situa ...
- situation analysis: [Business]noun [C] ...
- i really should straighten my situation out.
- his assessment of the situation was spot-on.
- the current situation is growing increasingly tense.
- i need to get your slant on the situation.
- i know very little about the situation there.