Noun: sinus sInus
- An abnormal passage leading from a suppurating cavity to the body surface
- Any of various air-filled cavities especially in the bones of the skull
- A wide channel containing blood; does not have the coating of an ordinary blood vessel
- venous sinus
Derived forms: sinuses
n : a cavity or hollow in the body: as
a : a narrow elongated tract extending from a focus of suppuration and serving for the discharge of pus a tuberculous sinus
b (1) : a cavity in the substance of a bone of the skull that usu. communicates with the nostrils and contains air (2) : a channel for venous blood (3) : a dilatation in a bodily canal or vessel
- sinus rhythm can often be maintained with quinidine.
- the cold congested his sinuses.
- sinus bradycardia occurs when the heart rate falls below 60.
- this normal variation in rhythm is known as sinus arrhythmia.
- sinus arrhythmia also tends to disappear with advancing age.