Noun: sapwood 'sap`wûd
- Newly formed outer wood lying between the cambium and the heartwood of a tree or woody plant; usually light coloured; active in water conduction
Derived forms: sapwoods
Type of: wood
Part of: tree
- sapwood contains xylem vessels, but not as strong as heartwood.
- if timber poles are used, the bark can be peeled off the tops to expose the light colored sapwood.
- in older stems, only the most recent rings of xylem participate in the transport of materials. these make up the sapwood.
- reviews of research work on sap flow process in tree species sapwood
- effect of pretreatment with freezhing on carbonization of sugi cryptomeria japonica sapwood