1 : situated or occurring behind the pubis
2 : performed by way of the retropubic space retropubic prostatectomy
- The retropubic space of Retzius is named after him.
- The Irish surgeon Terence Millin, MD ( 1903 1980 ) developed the radical retropubic prostatectomy in 1945.
- McLeod, who does both procedures, chose the retropubic approach for this operation because he wants to remove the lymph nodes for study.
- This space is called the retropubic space of Retzius ( from the Clinic of Digestive Surgery, University Hospital St-Pierre, Brussels ).
- American urologist Patrick C . Walsh, MD ( 1938 present ) developed the modern nerve-sparing, retropubic prostatectomy with minimal blood loss.