rat bite fever meaning
A syndrome characterized by recurring fever,rash,and arthralgias occurring days to weeks after a rat bite. The causative agents are either Streptobacillus moniliformis or Spirillum minus.
- The cause is not aspergillus nor rat bite fever.
- Federal health officials said only a few cases of rat bite fever are reported each year.
- The bacteria is present in the saliva of all rats but not all bite victims contract rat bite fever.
- Diagnosis for spirillary rat bite fever is by direct visualization or culture of spirilla from blood smears or tissue from lesions or lymph nodes.
- Rat bites were a main cause of hemorrhagic fever, rat bite fever and other epidemic diseases, it added, urging an all-out civilian war against the pests.