radiological dispersal device meaning
A device, other than a nuclear explosive device, designed to disseminate radioactive material in order to cause destruction, damage, or injury.
Also called RDD.
- Abraham told the opening session of the first high-level global conference on what are technically known as radiological dispersal devices.
- Many experts warned that medical and industrial radioactive devices could be used by terrorists for making a radiological dispersal device, or dirty bomb.
- Instead, a dirty bomb _ also known as a radiological dispersal device _ would do its damage by using a conventional explosion to propel radioactive material into the air.
- Such a weapon _ also called a radiological dispersal device _ would use conventional explosives to spread industrial or medical-grade radioactive material in a populated area to cause widespread fear of exposure.
- The team also examined the potential for terrorists to steal or build an actual nuclear weapon, but found that less likely than the construction of a radiological dispersal device, or dirty bomb.