quantum mechanics meaning
- Noun: quantum mechanics 'kwóntum mu'kaniks
- The branch of quantum physics that accounts for matter at the atomic level; an extension of statistical mechanics based on quantum theory (especially the Pauli exclusion principle)
Type of: quantum physics
Encyclopedia: Quantum mechanics Quantum mechanics, philosophy and controversy
A branch of physics concerned with the behavior of matter and energy, on the basis of observable data.
n pl but sing or pl in constr : a theory of matter that is based on the concept of the possession of wave properties by elementary particles, that affords a mathematical interpretation of the structure and interactions of matter on the basis of these properties, and that incorporates within it quantum theory and the uncertainty principle —called also wave mechanics — quantum mechanical adj — quantum mechanically adv
- mechanics: Noun: mechanics&nb ...
- quantum: Noun: quantum (qua ...
- aeroplane mechanics: Noun: aeroplane me ...
- More: Next
- course 1 makes heavy use of quantum mechanics.
- quantum mechanics is basically statistical in nature.
- quantum mechanics is an unambiguous and quantitative theory.
- these results are derivable from the theory of quantum mechanics.
- in quantum mechanics the particle need not have a definite energy.