phone tapping meaning
- n. [u adj.]
secretly listening to, or recording, a telephone conversation: Phone tapping is usually illegal. • The judge approved a phone-tapping request • They collected evidence by phone tapping (i.e. tapping his phone).
listening in to other people's telephone conversations by connecting to their telephone or by attaching a small microphone to it: Telephone tapping is illegal.
=>tap v. (5), tap n. (4)
- Phone tapping has been government practice in Malaysia for decades.
- The two men have since accused the government of illegal phone tapping.
- A special team is set up who are involved in phone tapping.
- The laws also allow phone tappings to be admitted as evidence in court.
- Greenpeace activists have also been targets of phone tapping, death threats, violence