- A tranquilizing drug (trade name Serax) used to treat anxiety and insomnia and alcohol withdrawal
Derived forms: oxazepams
Type of: antianxiety drug, anxiolytic, anxiolytic drug, minor tranquilizer, minor tranquilliser [Brit], minor tranquillizer
n : a benzodiazepine tranquilizer C15H11ClN2O2
- Its other active metabolites include the minor active metabolites temazepam and oxazepam.
- It is the pivalate ( 2, 2-dimethylpropanoate ) ester of oxazepam.
- Nitrazepam and temazepam were the most prevalent drugs detected, followed by oxazepam and flunitrazepam.
- The benzodiazepines chlordiazepoxide ( Librium ) and oxazepam ( Serax ) have largely replaced phenobarbital for detoxification.
- Compared to its parent drug, oxazepam, pivoxazepam is more rapidly absorbed and slightly more sedative.