on the eve of meaning
- [American slang]
prep. Just before (an event). On the eve of the election, the president proposed a plan to cut taxes.
- eve: Noun: eve &nb ...
- adam and eve: (Cockney rhyming ...
- adam-and-eve: Noun: adam-and-eve ...
- More: Next
- the country was on the eve of the first revolution.
- on the eve of death the dictator insisted on sticking to form.
- this is a faithful record of my position on the eve of teheran.
- coming as it did on the eve of a major war, its drama was heightened.
- we were on the eve of war and this time the enemy would be the united states.