on guard meaning
Adjective: on guard
See also: wary
• Be on guard. There are pickpockets around here.
• You had better be on your guard.
adj. phr. Watchful; watching. The police warned people to he on guard for pickpockets during the Christmas rush. Two men are on guard at the door.
Antonym: OFF GUARD.
- the man below there are always on guard.
- and right off i was on guard against mencken's books.
- being doubled up on guard isn't so good either.
- against that dreadful design the church stands ever on guard.
- he then spoke earnestly to the delaware who stood on guard.