- Noun: nettle netl
- Any of numerous plants having stinging hairs that cause skin irritation on contact (especially of the genus Urtica or family Urticaceae)
- Sting with or as with nettles and cause a stinging pain or sensation
- Cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations
- annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark [Brit], gravel [US], vex, chafe, devil
Derived forms: nettling, nettles, nettled
1 : any plant of the genus Urtica (family Urticaceae, the nettle family)
2 : any of various prickly or stinging plants other than one of the genus Urtica
- More: Next
- they are all heroes grasping the nettle.
- her rude remarks about my clothes rather nettled me.
- eustacia was nettled by her own contrivances.
- this bleak place overgrown with nettles was the churchyard.
- this nettled her.