lie up meaning
- lie up BrE to hide somewhere in order to escape from people who are looking for you:
▪ Our men lay up in the woods during the day, expecting to be attacked at any moment.
▪ He had to seek shelter - somewhere to lie up and let his wounds heal.
■ SIMILAR TO: hide out
- you could lie up there, watching the flakes swirl past.
- john must lie up for a few weeks until his leg mends
- mother was so weak after her operation that she had to lie up for a month
- and if there s a heaven above, he ll be there, and will lie up against me so i can sleep
- refusing to lie up, the retired worker took an active part in the work of the neighbour-hood committee