lie in ruins meaning
- [American slang]
to exist in a state of ruin, such as a destroyed city, building, scheme, plan, etc.
The entire city lay in ruins.
My garden lay in ruins after the cows got in and trampled everything.
- soon, this house will lie in ruins
- pack your belongings for exile, you who live in egypt, for memphis will be laid waste and lie in ruins without inhabitant
- Entire neighborhoods in the ZOS still lie in ruins.
- In Novi Sad, Yugoslavia, three more Danubian bridges lie in ruins.
- Elsewhere, 10, 000 trees lie in ruin.