- Happening or arising or located within some limits or especially surface
"internal organs"; "internal mechanism of a toy"; "internal party manoeuvring"
- Occurring within an institution or community
- Inside the country
"the nation's internal politics"
- home, interior, national
- Located inward
"an internal sense of righteousness"
- inner, interior
- Innermost or essential
"the internal contradictions of the theory"
- inner, intimate
See also: domestic, inner, inside, interior, internally, internecine, intramural, intrinsic, intrinsical, inward, position, spatial relation
AmE / adjective
1 [usually before noun]
involving or concerning only the people who are part of a particular organization rather than people from outside it:
an internal inquiry
Internal recruitment gives staff opportunities for promotion and new challenges.
used to describe the situation when a company develops its existing business rather than growing by buying other companies, etc:
We have tripled our sales through internal growth and acquisitions.
⇨ ORGANIC (1)
3 [only before noun]
connected with a country's own affairs rather than those that involve other countries:
an internal flight
(= within a country)
internally /; AmE / adverb:
It is too early to say whether the positions will be filled internally or externally.
1 : existing or situated within the limits or surface of something: as
a : situated near the inside of the body an internal layer of abdominal muscle
b : situated on the side toward the midsagittal plane of the body the internal surface of the lung
2 : present or arising within an organism or one of its parts an internal stimulus
3 : applied or intended for application through the stomach by being swallowed an internal remedy — in·ter·nal·ly adv
- internal absorptance: [Electronics]The r ...
- internal amplification: [Electronics]In a ...
- internal angle: Noun: internal ang ...
- bloodless internal surgery is possible.
- don't meddle in the internal affairs of other countries.
- it has its own internal apparatus.
- war, it will be seen, is now a purely internal affair.
- his internal problems were complex and multitudinous.