in the pay of meaning
- Receiving payment from in return for services, used esp in a sinister sense
- pay: Verb: pay (paid)&n ...
- pay for: Verb: pay for  ...
- pay in: pay sth in • pay i ...
- he was accused of having been in the pay of pougatcheff.
- fidel's view of dissenters was uncomplicated : all were “ mercenaries ”, in the pay of the united states
- Some accused me of being in the pay of the California vintners.
- Alpirez was reportedly in the pay of the CIA at the time.
- Berwick was a successful general in the pay of Louis XIV of France.