in season meaning
- 1. Ripe, fit and ready for use
3. (eg in the holiday trade) at the busiest time of the year
4. Allowed to be killed
5. (of a bitch) ready to mate, on heat
6. Fit to be eaten
currently available for selling. (Some foods and other things are available only at certain seasons.)
• Oysters are available in season.
• Strawberries aren't in season in January.
• When do strawberries come into season?
1. [of a game animal] subject to legal hunting.
You cannot shoot ducks. They are not in season.
2. [of a female animal] ready to breed; in estrus; in heat.
The cat's in season again.
3. to be currently available for selling. (Some foods and other things are available only at certain seasons. Typically: be ~; come [into] ~.)
Oysters are available in season.
Strawberries aren't in season in January.
- strawberries are cheaper when they are in season.
- grouse will soon be in season again.
- these are the dog days; watermelons are just in season.
- strawberries are in season now.
- it is now late in season and our clients are in dire need of this fertilizer.