Noun: hone hown
- A whetstone made of fine gritstone; used for sharpening razors
- Sharpen with a hone
"hone a knife"
- Make perfect or complete
Derived forms: honed, hones, honing
Same as oilstone.
AmE / verb [+ obj]
to develop and improve sth, especially a skill, over a period of time:
She's a finance expert who has honed her skills working for top accounting firms.
- his loner instincts are honed sharp by the spying game.
- his wife, a tiny woman with the profile of a finely honed hatchet.
- the advance team was at the peak of their self-confidence, honed by political campaigns to a razor-edge.
- he had seen them shape the knives from white-hot metal, temper them in cold water, then hone them to glistening sharpness.
- by honing those skills which make me useful ..