ground zero meaning
- Noun: ground zero grawnd 'zi(u)row
- The target of a projectile (as a bomb or missile)
- The site of the World Trade Center before it was destroyed
- The point of detonation (or above or below) of a nuclear weapon
Encyclopedia: Ground zero
(*) The point on the surface of the Earth at, or vertically below or above, the center of a planned or actual nuclear detonation.
See also actual ground zero; desired ground zero.
- More: Next
- consider, first, a location 22 miles downwind from ground zero.
- an actual contact surface burst leads to the highest possible overpressures near ground zero.
- some buildings leaned away from ground zero as though struck by a wind of stupendous proportions.
- this assumption is reasonably justified in the early stages, when the wave front is not far from ground zero.
- my compliment to the ground zero medical workers