- The state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behaviour intended to achieve it
- The place designated as the end (as of a race or journey)
- finish, destination
- Game equipment consisting of the place toward which players of a game try to advance a ball or puck in order to score points
- A successful attempt at scoring
"the winning goal came with less than a minute left to play"
Derived forms: goals
Part of: plan of action
AmE / noun [C]
something that you hope to achieve:
The company has set itself some long-term organizational goals.
Our goal is to increase market share this year.
Team members are committed to achieving common goals.
A goal should be thought of as an agreement between a manager and an employee.
Goals and deadlines often motivate employees.
SYN OBJECTIVE ⇨ OBJECTIVE, TARGET
❖ to define/establish/set a goal
◆ to achieve/meet/pursue/reach a goal
◆ your long-term/short-term/ultimate goal
◆ an achievable/a measurable/realistic goal
◆ a clear/main/primary/specific goal
◆ business/career/financial/profit/strategic goals
An individual's or institution's financial objective.
The end-result or objective,which may be specified or required in advance.
<programming> In logic programming, a predicate applied to its arguments which the system attempts to prove by matching it against the clauses of the program. A goal may fail or it may succeed in one or more ways.
- we 'll never give up until the goal is reached ..
- did you see them make the winning goal?
- the footballer took a strike at the goal.
- john played goal for the hockey team.
- that is the goal we must set ourselves.