Noun: gnomon nowmón
- Indicator provided by the stationary arm whose shadow indicates the time on the sundial
Derived forms: gnomons
Type of: indicator
Part of: sundial
- in all cases the gnomon lies in the plane of the meridian.
- a stake used for this purpose was the earliest type of sundial and was called a gnomon.
- it appears as a small gnomon with lines extending in each major direction ( along the x, y, and zaxis)
- from then on, people were able to measure time and determine seasons based on the position and length of the gnomon's shadow
- The gnomon may be fixed or moved according to the season.