flag officer meaning
Noun: flag officer flag 'ófisu(r)
- A senior naval officer above the rank of captain
Derived forms: flag officers
Type of: commissioned naval officer
Encyclopedia: Flag officer
A term applied to an officer holding the rank of general, lieutenant general, major general, or brigadier general in the US Army, Air Force or Marine Corps or admiral, vice admiral, or rear admiral in the US Navy or Coast Guard.
- recognizing commodore john barry as the first flag officer of the united states navy
- In this refusal he was supported by the other flag officers.
- Flag officers wear a more elaborate version of the normal duty uniform
- Its first flag officer was captain to rear admiral in 1936.
- Aubrey is promoted to Commodore, the first flag officer rank.