feline leukemia viruses meaning
A species of GAMMARETROVIRUS causing leukemia,lymphosarcoma,immune deficiency,or other degenerative diseases in cats. Several cellular oncogenes confer on FeLV the ability to induce sarcomas (see also SARCOMA VIRUSES,FELINE).
- In the 2002 2003 capture season, Feline leukemia virus was first observed in two panthers.
- Since a 2007 outbreak of feline leukemia virus ( FeLV ), wild lynxes are tested periodically for possible disease.
- The first product, developed for the French company Virbac, was a vaccine to protect domestic cats from infection by the feline leukemia virus.
- As time passed, other scientists developed vaccines against the feline leukemia virus in cats and a cancer known as Marek's disease in chickens.
- While the causes of "'cancer in cats "'are unknown, feline leukemia virus is suspected to be a prime contributor.