economic refugee meaning
- n. [c]
someone who comes to live in another country (i.e. an immigrant) because of poverty and in order to earn money, and not as a political refugee
A person seeking refugee status in another country for purely economic reasons.
- Economic refugees say life has been good to them in Jordan.
- They are economic refugees and illegal immigrants _ not political refugees.
- Large numbers of Albanian economic refugees are currently living in Greece.
- There is no reason for political and economic refugees to stay.
- They were branded, rightly or wrongly, as economic refugees.