- Noun: cyst sist
- A closed sac that develops abnormally in some body structure
- A small anatomically normal sac or bladderlike structure (especially one containing fluid)
Sounds like: cist
Derived forms: cysts
Any fluid-filled closed cavity or sac that is lined by an EPITHELIUM. Cysts can be of normal,abnormal,non-neoplastic,or neoplastic tissues. n
1 : a closed sac having a distinct membrane and developing abnormally in a body cavity or structure
2 : a body resembling a cyst: as
a : a capsule formed about a minute organism going into a resting or spore stage; also : this capsule with its contents
b : a resistant cover about a parasite produced by the parasite or the host —compare HYDATID 2a
- More: Next
- cysts are the result of faulty embryogenesis.
- an amoeba forms a cyst when conditions are unfavourable.
- in older infants and children infection in the cyst is common.
- parasitic and nonparasitic cysts rarely occur in the spleen.
- cysts should be excised and sterilized to avoid ingestion by the definitive host.