[ kʌp ] Pronunciation: "cup" in a sentence
Noun: cup kúp
- A small open container usually used for drinking; usually has a handle
"he put the cup back in the saucer"; "the handle of the cup was missing"
- The quantity a cup will hold
"he drank a cup of coffee"; "he borrowed a cup of sugar"
- Any cup-shaped concavity
"bees filled the waxen cups with honey"; "he wore a jock strap with a metal cup"; "the cup of her bra"
- A United States liquid unit equal to 8 fluid ounces
- Cup-shaped plant organ
- A punch served in a pitcher instead of a punch bowl
- The hole (or metal container in the hole) on a golf green
"he swore as the ball rimmed the cup and rolled away"; "put the flag back in the cup"
- A large metal vessel with two handles that is awarded as a trophy to the winner of a competition
"the school kept the cups is a special glass case"
- loving cup
- Form into the shape of a cup
"She cupped her hands"
- Put into a cup
"cup the milk"
- Treat by applying evacuated cups to the patient's skin
Derived forms: cups, cupped, cupping
See also: cupping
Type of: care for, concave shape, concavity, container, containerful, crockery, dishware [US], enclose, form, hole, inclose, incurvation, incurvature, insert, introduce, plant organ, prise [Brit, Cdn], prize, punch, put in, shape, stick in, treat, trophy, United States liquid unit
Part of: pint
The deviation of the face of a board from a plane.2.
A metal insert in a countersunk screw hole.
The ISO 4217 currency code for Cuban Peso.
¦ vi : to undergo or perform cupping
1 : a usu. open bowl-shaped drinking vessel often having a handle and a stem and base and sometimes a lid
2 : a drinking vessel and its contents : the beverage or food contained in a cup a second cup of coffee
3 : something resembling a cup invagination of the blastula to form a multilayered cellular cup: as
a (1) : an athletic supporter reinforced for providing extra protection to the wearer in certain strenuous sports (as boxing, hockey, or football) (2) : either of the two parts of a brassiere that are shaped like and fit over the breasts
b : a small bell-shaped glass formerly used in cupping
c : a cap of metal shaped like the femoral head and used in plastic reconstruction of the hip joint
- in a nutshell, it was not my cup of tea.
- he has won several cups for shooting.
- joy and grief were mingled in the cup.
- the cup is full; no more will go in.
- boiling water cracked a cup across the bottom.