[ 'kʌntri ] Pronunciation: "country" in a sentence
Noun: country kúntree
- A politically organized body of people under a single government
"the country's largest manufacturer"
- state, nation, land, commonwealth, res publica, body politic
- The territory occupied by a nation
"he visited several European countries"
- state, land
- The people who live in a nation or country
"the whole country worshipped him"
- nation, land
- An area outside of cities and towns
"his poetry celebrated the slower pace of life in the country"
- rural area
- A particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography)
Derived forms: countries
See also: rural
Type of: administrative district, administrative division, geographic area, geographic region, geographical area, geographical region, people, political entity, political unit, region, territorial division
- a country mile: [American slang]Ru ...
- across the country: Adverb: across the ...
- african country: Noun: African coun ...
- perfect order reigned throughout the entire country.
- that country was drained of its resources.
- the two countries signed a cultural agreement.
- he fought body and soul for his country.
- this led into good fighting country.