contour line meaning
Noun: contour line
- A line drawn on a map connecting points of equal height
Derived forms: contour lines
Encyclopedia: Contour line
A line on a map or drawing representing points of equal elevation on the ground.
(*) A line on a map or chart connecting points of equal elevation.
- there is a close correlation between contour lines and lithology.
- the outline is taken as that of the contour line defining its base.
- the indifference curve may be compared with a contour line on a map.
- care must be taken to distinguish artistically drawn form lines from accurately surveyed contour lines.
- bright areas reveal undeflected or stationary nodal regions while contour lines trace out areas of constant vibrational amplitude.