- An artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system
"a component or constituent element of a system"
- component, element
- A member of a constituency; a citizen who is represented in a government by officials for whom he or she votes
"needs continued support by constituents to be re-elected"
- Something determined in relation to something that includes it
"the animal constituent of plankton"
- part, portion, component part, component
- (grammar) a word or phrase or clause forming part of a larger grammatical construction
- grammatical constituent
- An abstract part of something
"two constituents of a musical composition are melody and harmony"
- component, element, factor, ingredient
- Constitutional in the structure of something (especially your physical makeup)
- constitutional, constitutive, organic
Derived forms: constituents
AmE / adjective, noun
■ adjective [only before noun]
forming a whole; being a part of a whole:
the group's two constituent companies
We want to consolidate the various constituent parts of the business.
■ noun [C]
one of the parts that forms sth:
the constituents of the FTSE 100 index
- the two constituents project to different heights.
- sulphur is a constituent of gunpowder.
- gallstones are formed from the constituents of bile.
- the noncarbon constituents of the coal would be separated.
- water vapor is a normal constituent of the atmosphere.