compass rose meaning
The circular device showing the principal directions on a map or chart
(*) A graduated circle, usually marked in degrees, indicating directions and printed or inscribed on an appropriate medium.
- The immense Compass Rose had a Continental menu and healthier fare.
- The navigational aids of the sextant and compass rose complete the maritime motif.
- Eight concentric rings are inscribed on the compass rose.
- Eight pegs are attached to the centre of the compass rose with strings.
- Portolan handbooks expressed their sailing directions in terms compass rose points and distances.