come down to meaning
- 1. come down to sth if a problem or difficult situation comes down to something, that is the most important point or idea to consider
it all comes down to sth
▪ It all comes down to money when you're trying to buy a house.
▪ Sure, you have to have talent, but in the end it all comes down to having confidence in yourself.
when it comes down to it (=this is the most basic and important point)
▪ When it comes down to it, you have to remember she's only sixteen.
■ SIMILAR TO: boil down to
2. if it comes down to it ... spoken used to say that if something becomes really necessary, that is what you will have to do:
▪ If it comes down to it, we'll just have to sell the house.
- we hope to come down to london next week.
- her hair comes down to her waist.
- many fine tales have come down to us from our ancestors.
- he had come down to begging.
- taxes must come down to give the british working men some incentive.