Noun: candle kandl
- Stick of wax with a wick in the middle
- taper, wax light
- The basic unit of luminous intensity adopted under the Système International d'Unités; equal to 1/60 of the luminous intensity per square centimetre of a black body radiating at the temperature of 2,046 degrees Kelvin
- candela, cd, standard candle
- Examine eggs for freshness by holding them against a light
Derived forms: candled, candles, candling
BURN THE CANDLE AT BOTH ENDS, GAME IS NOT WORTH THE CANDLE, HOLD A CANDLE.
Abbreviation, c. Also called international candle. A unit of light intensity that is the value of emission by the flame of a sperm-whale-oil candle burning at the rate of 7.776 grams per hour.
1 : a medicated candle or lozenge used for fumigation
2 : CANDELA
Part of the Scorpion environment development system.
- the candle flickered and then went out.
- as he spoke, he extinguished the candle.
- put out a candle, cigarette, pipe.
- a candle is a measure of the brilliance of a light.
- he would have turned down the candle.