by ourselves meaning
- [American slang]
1. with no one else present; alone.
Do we have to sit here by ourselves? Can't we sit with Mary and Max?
We like to eat by ourselves, so we can talk about private matters.
2. with the help of no one else.
We can do it by ourselves.
Can we lift this by ourselves, or do we need some help?
- why not have a peaceful drink and chat by ourselves?
- i don't think there's a chance of our trying anything by ourselves.
- shall we never live alone, think alone, live in a house by ourselves alone?
- if we're gonna get through this all by ourselves ..
- heaven or hell, they are all created by ourselves