by and by meaning
- 1. At some future time
2. Before long, presently
3. In the course of time
4. In succession, in order of succession (obsolete)
after a period of time has passed. (Most often seen in children's stories.)
• By and by the bears returned home, and can you guess what they found?
• And by and by the little boy became a tall and handsome prince.
at some time in the future; as time passes.
The weather's sure to clear up by and by.
You may think your heart is broken, but you'll feel better by and by.
- we'll talk of that by and by.
- the clouds will disappear by and by.
- they will be arriving by and by.
- i will see him by and by.
- his dreamings and readings worked certain changes in him, by and by.